Drinks & Food Cans
Cans are light and bulky and we normally collect them as mixed recyclables rather than as a separated material. Cans can be either steel or aluminium and need to be sorted before they can be recycled. This is done automatically at a ‘Materials Recovery Facility’ by the use of magnets and eddy currents.
Recycling 1 tonne of steel makes the following environmental savings:
- 1.5 tonnes of iron ore
- 0.5 tonnes of coal
- 40% of the water required in production
- 75% of the energy needed to make steel from virgin material
- 85% less air pollution than making steel from virgin materials
- 1 recycled steel can saves enough energy to run a television set for up to three hours.
Recycling 1 tonne of aluminium makes the following environmental savings:
- 6 tonnes of bauxite
- 4 tonnes of chemicals
- 50% of the water in production
- 14,000kWh of electricity
- 80% less air pollution than making aluminium from virgin material
- recycling aluminium requires only 5% of the energy it takes to make new aluminium
- 1 recycled aluminium can saves enough energy to run a television for up to three hours.